Sunday, June 16, 2013

The Coles Family


Today was my last official working day at Spring Ledge’s home farm in here in the Plains. Tomorrow we all leave for Saratoga Springs Classic horse show for a week and after that I will make 8 hour drive back here to pack the last things, sleep one more night and then fly home to Holland. I’ve been here in Virginia for about 2 months (should have been 3, but college messed it up) and I want to dedicate this blog entry to the wonderful people I worked for here; the Coles family.

Obviously I worked with Sloane Coles all winter in Florida since she was working with Lauren, but funnier is the reason why I knew Sloane’s name long before I actually met her.. A couple years ago, I was spending my sunday afternoon on YouTube. Looking for interesting horse related videos such as clinics etc, I stumbled upon an episode of what appeared to be a tv show called; Road to the Maclay. (--> Maclay = ASPCA Mayclay Finals = right about the most prestigious final for junior riders in the USA) This show followed the top junior riders of that year on their road to the finals. The riders were training with either Heritage farm or Beacon Hill, two of the biggest show barns in the US. Perfect show for me to watch! So I did. The main character was a still very young Brianne Goutal. While most of the action took place at horse shows or at those show barns, Brianne did have a best friend who lived in Virginia and in one of the episodes she goes there for a weekend so the viewers get to meet that friend....Sloane Coles. :-) Now, I don’t remember much of what they were saying in that episode but the one thing I never forgot was the first scene with Sloane in it. You should know, all the kids in this show were always dressed meticulously in their very classy, kind of conservative neat looking tan breeches/tucked in shirt etc etc. Well, Brianne arrives in the Plains and here comes Sloane Coles. A hands on girl, ready for trail ride, wearing jeans overalls and just looking like she’s about to mount a wild mustang like any other day. Brilliant. I said to myself; I like that girl. 

Turns out I was absolutely right. The Coles’; Sloane, dad mr. John Coles, mom mrs. Julie Coles and even sister Fraley and brother Peyton whom I only briefly met, are I guess the best people I have ever worked for. I mean, people underestimate sandwiches and kind words, really. They bring snacks (healthy, not Walmart) down to the barn/show or sandwiches and drinks or have us all come up to the house for breakfast/lunch/dinner.. Not once, nearly every day! They help whenever they can with everything. Yes, also with night check and mucking stalls. It’s been amazing. (Despite now they are all trying to make me feel really guilty for leaving earlier) If every boss would be like this, the world would be a different place. Instead of feeling like I just worked myself to death for 2 months (still recovering from the end of Florida....) I feel like I spent 2 months in a host family of the best kind. I just would like to thank the Coles’ for giving me that feeling and adding this great experience to my list! I’m gonna miss you all very much! Hereby I do want to give you a 1 week notice of Chantilly and Bailey leaving. They are flying over to Holland with some girl who just loved them too much to leave them behind. Just sayin’! 

Good luck Spring Ledge, for the rest of the summer! 

Thank you!!!


Chantilly, the BEST. 



Baby G! love him



Beautiful Coles residence

So pretty here

BAILEY. <3

Nugget & Bailey! 

Gertie Boo!

Best boy Conner :)

Pretty Mama spa treatment :) 

Princess Chantilly

Aww Gertie!

puppy love

best dog ever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment